Enlistment Blog Post



My Dearest, Julia,

President Lincoln has called for 75,000 military volunteers. We discussed this and I know you do not support my decision to enlist, but I regret to inform you that I did. I have pride for my country and I refuse to just sit here and watch our country fall apart. Our country needed me. My love for you only grows stronger everyday. Just know, I am doing this for you and our children. Tell Jesse, Fred, Nellie, and Buck that their father loves them. I know it is going to be hard to manage my father while I am gone, but you and I both know in our hearts that slavery is awful, despite what my father believes about your family. I have a feeling that my promotion to Colonel is coming soon. The food here is truly awful and I already miss your cooking. We have to eat these crackers called "Hartack Crackers" and I almost broke my tooth. They are horrible, yet they are what is available. I just kept thinking about your delicious apple pie. The war should be over in time for thanksgiving, so I sure am excited for your pie. My love, I miss you more than you can possibly imagine and I hope to see you soon.

Love, Dudy.

(See linked video for  "Civil War Cooking Show") 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Post 1865: The Year of the Union with Great Devistation

General Ulysses S. Grant: 1861 Rap