Blog Post: 1861



Dear Journal,

I have not had a lot of time to write this year, but for future historians this is important. Every waking moment I think about my family and how I can not wait to kiss my dear Julia's face and hug my dear children. I have been promoted multiple times. I had originally enlisted and became colonel of the 21st Illinois Infantry. In July I was given the position of brigadier general which I had been expecting. Soon after I was promoted to be command of the District of Southeast Missouri. Everything around here moves so quickly. I had hoped this war would be over soon, but from the looks of things it wont be. The union has also decided to to start an income tax in order to pay for war supplies. They must be serious about this war. George B. McClellan was given the position of General in September. He is quite a spectacle. What a mysterious young man. I keep thinking about my family and how much I want to leave, but then I remember what I am fighting for. "We Fight for Men and Women Whose Poetry has Not Yet Been Written".

Sincerely, Ulysses S. Grant`

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Post 1865: The Year of the Union with Great Devistation

General Ulysses S. Grant: 1861 Rap

Enlistment Blog Post