Blog Post: 1862 The Bloodiest Year of the War

Dear Journal,                                                                                                              December 23, 1862

This has been quite the year, I feel as though the war has really picked up. We really needed to gain control of rivers and supply lines west of the Appalachians, so my troops, Commodore Foote, and my self, launched an attack on Fort Henry. The Confederates eventually surrendered. But the Confederate Brigadier General, led his troops to Fort Donelson,which we capturedWhen the Confederate general in charge of the fort asked us to surrender I told him, no terms except an unconditional and immediate surrender can be accepted. Then in March the Iron Giants clashed which did nothing for us, nor the south. In April we battled at Fort Shiloh. That was one of the scariest battles of my life. We lost so many, and it was a true bloodbath. We ended up winning the battle. I have led us to the majority of our major victories here in the Union and I am just waiting on my promotion. We had a little bit of difficulty in the summer because of Lee and Jackson. I will give it to Lee, he is very skilled as well is Jackson, but we have the numbers. General Pope let us down in the second battle of Bull Run, but I have a feeling we are awaiting a comeback. In September, General McClellan led the Union to a victory at Antietam, yet it was one of the bloodiest battles I have ever heard of. McClellan had an incredible opportunity to end the war, but he let Lee's troops go. President Lincoln has had a lot of trouble with McClellan and has called for his removal. Lincoln must be having an incredibly difficult time right now and on top of all the casualties we have faced this year, he decides to issue the Emancipation Proclamation. This war is no where close to over and I just want to go home, Merry Christmas! 

Sincerely
Ulysses S. Grant. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Post 1865: The Year of the Union with Great Devistation

General Ulysses S. Grant: 1861 Rap

Enlistment Blog Post