1863 Blog Post: A Year of Successes For Those That Don't Deserve Losses

Dear Journal,                                                                                                                 January 1, 1864

1863 has been quite a year. I miss my family all the time. President Lincoln is suffering in office and I am surprised he has not yet quit. In January, President Lincoln issued the Emancipation Proclamation. This document frees all slaves from bondage. Although this does grant the freedom of so many, none of the southern slaves were freed, because the south believes it doesn't apply to them. In May, Lee won a victory at Chancellorsville. Despite the toll he took on our troops, he lost his trophy horse. His General Jackson was shot by one of his own men. I imagine a Confederate victory will be rare now. My commanding officer told me I must gain control of the Mississippi and a crucial part of taking that is Vicksburg. I attempted every plan and I resorted to sending my troops down the river, right past Confederate artillery. My troops made it through this risky operation which allowed for access on the south side of Vicksburg. My troops moved in and left the Confederates with nothing. The siege lasted for more than six weeks, when General John Pemberton eventually surrendered on July 4th. With a Union win at the bloody battle of Gettysburg, and this successful takeover of the Mississippi River, the Confederacy is torn apart. President Lincoln was incredibly happy about the recent successes. Lincoln's feelings of relief are short lived when riots start in New York City. Draft laws are put in place to ensure the numbers of the Union stay larger than the Confederacy. Unfortunately, many in the North are starting to oppose Lincoln. In September we lost at Chickamauga, which is surprising because of the dwindling numbers of the South. I think Lincoln is trying to fix a bullet hole with a band-aid these days, because he issued a Thanksgiving Proclamation, so we can be thankful for the blessings we have had this year. Then in November General Thomas and his men took Missionary Ridge and Lookout Mountain without my orders, yet it was a key part in taking the south. Plenty of vantage points and in an ideal southern location, Chattanooga, Tennessee. This year has been full of surprises and successes. I am incredibly worn out, but I wouldn't want to fight for any other country. "In every battle there comes a time when both sides consider themselves beaten. Then he who continues the attack wins". It looks to me that the Union will be the victors in this war.

Sincerely,
Ulysses S. Grant

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Post 1865: The Year of the Union with Great Devistation

General Ulysses S. Grant: 1861 Rap

Enlistment Blog Post