Blog Post 1865: The Year of the Union with Great Devistation

Dear Journal,                                                                                                                    January 1, 1866

Since the Civil War has come to an end, I thought I might review this last year. Of course with my promotion to General, the Union has had many successes. Lincoln was re-elected president and in his second Inaugural address he extended an olive branch to the confederacy. His brilliant words, "With Malice towards none; with charity for all... Let us strive on to finish the work we are in; to bind up the Nation’s wounds", and thanks to my command the war was looking like a Union victory. And then in April, Lee surrendered 1/3 of his army. We met in Appomattox Courthouse and discussed the terms of surrender. It was bittersweet. I was glad that we could restore the Union and the war was over, however no matter which side they died fighting for, the men that died were Americans. I have great respect for General Lee and I have thought him to be an adequate commander. My men cheered Lee's surrender, for I was disappointed in the lack of respect they presented him. Then a few days after, the morning of April 15th Lincoln passed. He was assassinated by John Wilkes Booth. President Lincoln, may he rest in peace, for he has served his country with great pride and dedication. He made so much progress. I am glad to be with my family after this long and tiring civil war. I also consider taking office, or at least getting involved in politics. This will be my last journal, for historians will have to document the rest. I will say we made history. Sincerely, Ulysses S. Grant
si




s





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

General Ulysses S. Grant: 1861 Rap

Enlistment Blog Post